Sneak Peek at iShoot 2.0

I’m furiously working on iShoot 2.0 and figured you might want a peek at what’s in store. The first huge change is unfortunately hard to take a screenshot of, but you should notice a change on the title screen:

I’ve mostly been working on the networking code so far, rather than the user interface for it, so I’m not going to show off the placeholder interface I have now. But basically the way it will work is one person chooses Host, up to three other people choose Connect and select the host, and then you lob expensive weapons at each other. You’ll love it. For this version you’ll all have to be on the same WiFi network, but I’m planning on allowing you to fight anyone in the world before long.

The next big change is heralded by a new, unassuming button on the New Game screen:

Edit Rules? Whatever can that be? Click on it and you’ll see this:

These should be pretty self-explanatory. Economy, for instance, allows you to change the amount of money you get at the beginning of each round and for killing enemy tanks and such. Basic Rules currently (keep in mind this is an alpha…) looks like this:

Landscapes allows you to disable landscapes you don’t like, and (when I’m done with it…) to control the frequency of the randomly-generated landscapes:

The most exciting part of the Rule Editor is by far the Weapon Editor, which will allow you to add, delete, and edit weapons. The weapons in iShoot are built up of simple parts with tunable settings; it shouldn’t surprise you that the Tactical Nuke, Nuke, and Planet Buster are all the same weapon with different blast radius and damage settings. But what may surprise you more is that the Claymore and Meltdown are the same weapon as well — they are both “ground bursts”, weapons which explode into a cloud of submunitions at the point of impact.

The main difference is that the Meltdown has a “burst power” of zero, meaning that its submunitions do not spread from the point of impact at all. This means that when the Meltdown strikes a target, it “explodes” and spawns twelve other rockets… which look exactly like a Meltdown and continue following the same trajectory. As each rocket strikes, it explodes and cuts a hole in the dirt allowing the remaining rockets to continue traveling. But since the rockets are all at the exact same position, it looks like there is a single rocket slicing its way through the ground.

The reason I’m explaining all of this is to give you a sense of the cool weapons you can create using iShoot’s weapon system. By combining the existing weapon classes (shells, cluster bombs, ground bursts, etc.) in new and different ways, you can come up with some very creative effects. When I decided to create the Shiva Bomb to bring the number of weapons up to an even 25, it took all of two minutes and zero lines of code. The Shiva Bomb is just a Ground Burst weapon whose submunitions are themselves Ground Bursts. With the new weapon editor in iShoot 2.0, you’ll be able to harness all of this power for yourself, creating awesome new weapons to terrorize your opponents.

And yes… you’ll be able to use your newly created weapons in WiFi play. The host selects the rules which are in effect, so choose your friends wisely.

The weapon editor is still very much a work in progress, but I’ll leave you with two things. First, a teaser screenshot:

And secondly, a few sample weapons that you will be able to create:

  1. The “Great Wall” weapon is a “skylance”, a weapon which creates a vertical beam of destruction on impact. It just has its damage set to zero and the “create dirt” option checked, so it instead creates a wall of dirt. You can now create damaging skylances, or better yet a cluster bomb which releases submunitions that explode into skylances when they strike the ground.
  2. It is possible to select from different types of shells randomly. For example, you could have a “World Reshaper” weapon which creates a huge blast of half Excavators and half Dirt Balls.
  3. Again using random submunitions, you could create a “Jackpot” weapon which has a 75% chance of doing no damage and a 25% chance of being incredibly powerful.
  4. I’m a fan of a little weapon I put together called the “Disco Bomb”, in which its submunitions explode into randomly-colored explosions. Just a little bit more visual flair :-).

So, there you have it. You wanted online, you got it. You wanted more weapons… well, you got more than you asked for there :-). Just be patient, iShoot 2.0 is coming, and it’s awesome.

20 Responses to “Sneak Peek at iShoot 2.0”

  1. Joel says:

    this looks awesome, can’t wait for the update.

  2. Andrew says:

    Thanks for letting us see a glimpse! It appears to be rocking! Just a question, will you be able to use up to 10 tanks total (1 human 9 computer, etc…) like the old scorched earth did? Also, will you be including napalm like the old version did? Those two features made the game for me. Thanks!

    Andrew

  3. EJ says:

    Love it! I predict a few more late nights when this is released! :)

  4. Andrew says:

    Holy crap. I can’t wait, that is going to be sick.

  5. AgentSmith says:

    Great stuff, I’m very much looking forward to the update!
    Btw, the interview is now published under http://blog.matrixagents.org/2009/02/ethan-nicholas/
    (The untranslated english transcript is included at the bottom if anyone here wants to read it. ;) )

  6. MikeC says:

    Wow – really looks nice. I love the idea of playing against other people on the same wifi network, that will be brilliant. Also the backdrops look way cool. Being able to make your own new weapons will also add to the game play !!
    So far I have only played the Lite version for a few days and I am enjoying it immensely and is definitely something I will consider purchasing.
    Keep up the fantastic work !!

  7. XCool says:

    Awesome! The Rules Editor rocks, I think I’m gonna be playing with it a lot! And I’d probably need to update my review (http://www.onemoretap.com/go/review/ishoot-lite.php) when this one’s out.

    Keep it coming, Ethan!

  8. Martin says:

    I would love to see a landscape editor. Loading in transparent PNG’s or draw own shape would be nice.

  9. StarNab says:

    Well thissound really great…!
    But… Are you planning it as an update or as a whole “new” game ?

  10. AlexRS says:

    would it be difficult to create items in the shop that can give you health or armour in the game?

    my favourite game so far!!! Great work!

  11. [...] 2,39€ im AppStore kaufen oder die Lite-Version herunterladen Ethan Nicholas veröffentlicht in seinem Blog detaillierte Informationen zur kommenden Version 2.0 von [...]

  12. Tequila25 says:

    Great work so far, thanks for this sneak peek!

    Any chance that custom weapons and rulesets can be exported, so that people can share mods?

    Thanks!

  13. expiration says:

    Good work man, I even tried to send you a message here:

    http://twitter.com/expiration

    but apparently I am not much of twitter user and you already had that particular idea in mind.

    OTHER IDEAS

    IDEA 1
    A laser, we need at least one laser that kills/damages your opponent in one shot
    OPTIONS:
    a) cuts through the landscape [on] [off]
    b) thickness of laser [on] [off]
    c) price: $100,000?

    IDEA 2
    How about adjustable prices?

    IDEA 3
    An aiming aid that shows where the missile is going to hit directly [good only for one use] for $30,000?

    IDEA 4
    Call in aerial support that drops bombs like in WWII

    I have other ideas but these will do for now.

    My son and I love this game, he is 6 years old and we have found it to be a good way to play a game we both like and enjoy.

    EXCELLENT WORK!!!

  14. Brock says:

    Sounds like a cool update but I really wish you added tank upgraded like more armor for instead of just weapons to spend your money on

  15. nate says:

    Hey we need parachutes and shields in the game!

  16. expiration says:

    sounds for tanks moving…?

  17. Dave says:

    Class!! iShoot has ruined my life haha. I’m on to round 800+ at the moment!!!

    Thanks for such a great game!!

    Bit cheeky but any chance you could name one of the tanks:

    The Chimp, … or The Chimpy Gimp? Or The Chimpster. It’s just a name that always makes me laugh.

  18. Tom says:

    How about making expert more difficult? I play a lot of one player, and find it’s not much challenge. Thanks!

  19. Logan M says:

    When is this coming out??

  20. Jstuff Jr says:

    So excited now, looks like a great update. It will be awesome to be able to create your own weapons, and I’m glad you’re finally allowing the option of disabling landscapes, especially the randomly generated ones. I love Ishoot, and its a great game to play with friends. By the way, do you think you could give us an estimated release date? Thanks!

Leave a Reply